This patriotic USA Flag Cake is the best dessert to add to your celebrations this year. The American Flag is a symbol of freedom and justice and is the pinnacle of a hard fought battle against the British. It originally represented the 13 colonies that proved they could govern themselves, and today represents the 50 states and 5 territories that stand for absolute freedom as a constitutional republic.
Patriotic Red White & Blue Ice Cream USA Flag Cake
You can share your love for God and country this year by sharing your love for America with every slice you serve of this Red White & Blue American Flag Cake!
What Are the Best Holidays Throughout the Year To Make This Cake?
- Every Day
- Washington’s Birthday
- President’s Day
- Memorial Day
- Independence Day
- Election Day
- Veterans Day
- Patriot Day
Ice Cream or Cake?
You can make this cake with layers of ice cream, or with layers of cake – or both!
I opted for a strawberry sherbet mixed with an orange cake layer, and a blue layer to create the best of both worlds.
If you decide on a solid ice cream cake, you need 3 types of ice cream: vanilla, strawberry and some sort of blue ice cream.
If you decide on a cake cake, you need a double layer of blue velvet cake, two white velvet cakes and two or three red velvet cakes.
My cake is three layers of white cake, one layer of white cake dyed blue, and two layers of strawberry sherbet.
How to Put this USA Flag Cake Together?
It’s definitely way easier than it looks.
Every layer is made up of a round cake. The bottom 3 layers are stacked on top of each other and the top three layers have a circle cut out of them.
Whether you use ice cream or cake, or a combination of the two, you’ll put the cake together the same way.
Red and White Stripes
Starting with a red or white layer, stack the first three layers of cake alternating red and white, sandwiched between a very thin layer of frosting.
*If you want it truly authentic to the American Flag you want to start with a red bottom layer. I started with white, because I didn’t plan ahead and only made two red layers. If you do this, you’ll need to make three layers of red sherbet, two layers of white cake, and one of blue cake.
Your 4th layer will be blue. Before stacking the blue layer, cut a circle out of the center of the blue cake. The easiest way to do this is by using the 4” base of a mini springform pan. Place it in the center of your blue cake, and using a knife cut around the base of the pan.
Remove the inner circle, and set aside.
Place the blue cake ring on top of the other three layers.
With your last two remaining red and white layers, take the same 4” base of the mini springform pan and do the same thing you did with the blue cake. Place the circle in the center of your blue cake, and using a knife cut around the base of the pan.
This time, remove the outer circle, and set aside. You will stack the inner circles inside the blue ring.
Make sure to keep track of your colors so you continue alternating the colors to resemble a USA flag for your cake.
Patriotic Red White & Blue Ice Cream USA Flag Cake
- 1 pound fresh strawberries
- 2 pounds frozen strawberries
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ cup sour cream
- 1 cup whipping cream
Orange Zest Cake
- 1 ½ cups sour cream
- ½ cup heavy whipping cream
- Zest one orange
- ½ cup orange juice
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 4 cups sugar
- 1 cup butter
- ½ cup sunflower oil
- 5 cups flours
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 8 egg whites
- Blue Food Dye
- 2 pounds powdered sugar
- 2 sticks salted butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 tablespoons whipping cream
- Place all ingredients in a high powered blender and mix until smooth
- Pour evenly into two 9” round cake pans
- Freeze until set minimum of 6 hours
Orange Zest Cake
- Preheat oven to Fahrenheit 350°
- Prepare four 9” round cake pans lined with parchment paper and greased
- Add sour cream, whipping cream, orange juice, zest, vanilla and sugar into a mixing bowl and whip to emulsify
- Add butter, one tablespoon at a time, while mixing to incorporate
- The butter will stay in pebble sized pieces
- Add oil all at once and mix
- Add flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt and pulse just to incorporate
- Add egg whites and mix until combined
- Pour 2 cups of batter into each of the three prepared pans
- Reserve remaining batter and dye with blue dye until desired color is reached
- Pour remaining blue batter into fourth cake pan
- Bake at Fahrenheit 350° for 20-25 minutes for white cakes
- Bake 30-35 minutes for blue cake, until cake springs back when lightly touched in the middle
- Remove from oven and invert onto a wire rack
- Allow to cool completely
- Mix all ingredients with mixer until smooth
- See above “How to Put this USA Flag Cake Together”
- Begin by stacking the white layer cake on the bottom
- Top with a thin layer of frosting and place one layer of the red sherbet on top
- Add the second layer of white cake
- Apply a thin layer of frosting
- On your work surface, take the blue cake and cut out a 4” circle out of the middle of the cake
- Remove the inner circle of blue cake
- Take the remaining ring of the blue cake and carefully transfer it on top of the last layer of white cake and frosting
- Take the last red sherbet circle and cut the same 4” circle out of the red sherbet
- This time discard the outer ring of red sherbet and put the inner circle inside the blue cake on top of the stack
- Do the same with the last layer of white cake. Cut out a 4” circle, and discard the outer ring. Place the small circle on top of the red sherbet inside the blue outer ring
- The top of the blue cake should line up perfectly with the top of the white cake
- Frost the outside and top of the cake with remaining white frosting
- Freeze overnight
What is a Double Layer of Cake?
It’s one cake layer, but double the batter to make a cake twice as high.
You can either double the cake batter, or don’t slice your cake in half (which I never do because it’s unnecessary extra work).
Where Can I Get Blue Ice Cream?
At the grocery store look for flavors like:
- Cotton Candy
- Smurf ice cream
- Blue Moon
- Cookie Monster Ice Cream
Or you can stop in to your local ice cream shop or dairy bar and take home a pint of whatever they have.
Why is Your “White” Cake Orange?
I love the subtle flavor of orange in this cake. It also subtly tints the color of the batter, but it’s such a delicious flavor, I don’t mind it.
If you want a truly white cake, sub out the orange juice with milk.
What To Do With the Extra Strawberry Sherbet That You Cut Out?
Make these Red White and Blue Popsicles!
Cheesecake Making Supplies on Amazon
I am an Amazon affiliate and Amazon sometimes pays me an incredibly small stipend from the sale of these items, and it does not cost you anything to click on them!
Wilton makes the best food dye gel. Food coloring is finicky and hard to get the color you want. This food gel is thick and will produce strong colors without fading.
Use these stars to represent the 50 states in each of your cake slices!
Make This USA Flag Cake
If you make this Red, White & Blue Ice Cream USA Flag Cake, tag @Fahrenheit350sweets on Instagram so I can see it! And I’d love it if you left a review and a comment below!
More Yummy Ice Cream Cake Recipes to Bake at Fahrenheit 350°!
- 3 Ingredient Frozen Ice Cream Cake
- Mini Ice Cream Cake Petit Fours
- Strawberry Ice Cream Cheesecake
- Peanut Butter Ice Cream Pie