Once upon a time I used to make homemade lemon ice cream by softening french vanilla ice cream and beating it with a hand mixer and 1 cup of freshly squeezed lemon juice. Then I’d put it back in the original carton and refreeze it solid.
Ima be honest, it’s not a bad method.
But, then I decided to truly make real homemade lemon ice cream with thick fresh cream, real milk, sugar and fresh lemons.
Ima be honest, it’s incredibly delicious. Like, so super yummy!
Homemade Lemon Ice Cream
Smooth and tart homemade lemon ice cream that tastes just like frozen lemonade. It is the perfect treat for a warm summer’s day!
Homemade Lemon Ice Cream
- Ice Cream Maker
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup sugar
- Zest 3 large lemons
- Juice 3 large lemons
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla
- Dash salt
- 2 whole eggs
- Warm cream, milk and sugar over medium heat stirring occasionally
- Add zest and juice of two large lemons with vanilla and salt when mixture is warm to the touch
- Reserve 1 lemon to the side
- Remove ½ the milk mixture into a clean dry bowl
- Whisk 2 whole eggs into the separated milk mixture
- Temper the eggs by slowly pouring the milk egg mixture back into the pan while whisking constantly
- Continue to cook the cream and eggs until the mixture just begins to boil
- Do not stop stirring
- Turn heat off and remove from heat
- Continue stirring mixture as it cools,
- When mixture has cooled slightly to the touch pour into medium sized bowl
- Chill in fridge for a minimum of 6 hours, until chilled throughout
- Add ice cream mixture to ice cream mixer bowl with the juice and zest of 1 lemon
- Churn according to manufacturer’s instructions Just prior to churning, add zest and juice of one additional lemon
- Make ice cream according to manufacturer’s instructions
Make Homemade Lemon Ice Cream
If you make this ice cream, tag @Fahrenheit350sweets on Instagram so I can see it! And I’d love it if you left a review and a comment below!
My Favorite Homemade Ice Cream Making Supplies on Amazon
I am an Amazon affiliate and Amazon sometimes pays me an incredibly small stipend from the sale of these items, and it does not cost you anything to click on them!
I’ve had my Cuisinart ice cream maker for 5 years and it’s still going strong. The churning process is a bit long, but it’s so smooth and creamy and I love not having dealing with any additional ingredients.
I love these reusable ice cream tubs! They are the same size as the little cartons of ice cream at the store and they make storing and stacking individual flavors so easy!